Coffee and whole almonds pair up in these light and crunchy biscotti made healthier with less butter, as well as almond meal. A flavorful yet nutritious treat.
This sponsored recipe is brought by the Almond Board of California as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Espresso Almond Biscotti Bites
Recipe by Ginger Hultin, MS, RDN, CSO
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) water
- 1 ½ cup (248 grams) whole unsalted raw almonds
- 1 2-ounce shot (60 milliliters) espresso
- 6 tablespoons (87 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (195 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) almond extract
- 2 (114 grams) large eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup (253 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (94 grams) almond meal
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) sea salt
- 2 teaspoons (7 grams) baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place almonds on a large, rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Set aside to cool. Prepare espresso shot. In the bowl of an electric mixer, use the whisk to beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes until creamed. Add espresso shot, vanilla extract, almond extract and eggs. Mix well until combined. Add flour, almond meal, salt and baking powder, then mix to combine. Roughly chop cooled almonds. Replace whisk on electric mixer with paddle and stir in almonds on a slow setting until incorporated.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough evenly into 3 pieces and place on the baking sheet. With moistened hands, shape each piece into a log about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide, then bake logs for 30 minutes until lightly golden brown, firm to the touch and just starting to crack slightly. Allow the logs to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes until just slightly warm.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 275°F. Place logs on a cutting board and with a large sharp knife, slice each in half lengthwise. Next, slice the logs gently horizontally and on a diagonal into 10 equal bite-sized cookies. Place the slices back on the baking sheet with a spatula and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until they are toasted and dry. Serves 15.
Serving Size: 2 bites (about 30 grams for 2)
CALORIES 296; TOTAL FAT 17g; SAT. FAT 4g; CHOL. 37mg; SODIUM 89mg; CARB. 31g; FIBER 3g; SUGARS 14g; PROTEIN 7g; POTASSIUM NA; PHOSPHORUS NA
Note: No reliable potassium and phosphorus nutrient information for almond extract and almond meal could be identified.