On cool autumn mornings, I need a fruit and grain porridge to start my day. I buy amaranth, a whole grain, at my local co-op and add Asian pear and fresh cranberries for a fall flair.
This warming breakfast provides high-quality protein, fiber, calcium, vitamins and good fats.
Autumn Amaranth Porridge
- ¼ cup amaranth
- 1 cup non-fat milk, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 Asian pear, diced
- 2 dates, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted pecans
- On the stove top, combine amaranth, ¾ cup milk, spice, pear and dates in a non-stick saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick.
- In a separate saucepan, simmer cranberries, water and sugar for 15 minutes.
- Pour porridge in a bowl. Top with warmed cranberries, pecans and ¼ cup milk. Serves 1.