If you ask me, black-eyed peas don't get enough love. So, I am featuring them today in the form of spicy balsamic barbecued black-eyed peas — the perfect vegan football party side dish.
But, how do you recreate that smoky, bold, bacon-y flavor of barbecued beans without the bacon? The answer – chipotle peppers in adobo sauce! I seriously love these things. I always have a can open in my fridge to add to any dish needing a spicy or smoky kick. If you’ve never added a can of these flavorful peppers into your shopping cart, you’re missing out, my friend.
This recipe uses black-eyed peas in place of traditional kidney beans, replaces classic bacon bits with chopped mushrooms, and uses heart-healthy flaxseed to thicken the mixture.
Balsamic Barbecue Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup baby bella mushroom, chopped
- 2 cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté onion, garlic and mushrooms for 5 to 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Add black-eyed peas, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, chipotle pepper, molasses and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and add flaxseed. Stir and let simmer for another 10 minutes until thickened to desired consistency. Serves 8.