This recipe is great for those days when you get home exhausted and just want to throw something in the oven. It also is perfect for those nights you get in late and want to keep things simple and light.
Aside from being delicious, butternut squash is a nutrition powerhouse! It is jam-packed with vitamins A and C and also is a good source of potassium. So, other than as a pizza topping, how do you incorporate more butternut squash into your diet? Personally, I love to throw it into soups and stews. It is a great addition to smoothies, and you also can mash it up and enjoy like mashed potatoes.
Butternut Squash Arugula Pita Pizza
- 1 cup peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 1 100-percent whole grain pita round
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup fresh arugula
- 1 ounce feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- black pepper to taste
- Put squash into a pot of boiling water and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a baking sheet, place pita round and spread tomato sauce onto it.
- Evenly place butternut squash chunks onto the pita bread and top with sliced onions
- Drizzle olive oil over the pita and bake for 15 minutes.
- Finish off by topping with fresh arugula, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar and black pepper to taste.