The Easter Bunny will be here before we know it, and that makes me think of two things: carrots and Easter Egg Hunts. Easter in my house growing up always meant indulging in all the sweet goodies we had given up for Lent. Instead, I gave myself the mission of coming up with a drool-worthy, deliciously sweet — yet totally healthy — cinnamon roll.
Enter Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls! These babies seriously are the easiest and quickest things to make! Plus, if you have house guests, you will totally wow them as they wake up to the aroma of cinnamon and sugar that envelops your house.
Not only can you justify the indulgence knowing it’s packed with the super spice cinnamon, but also because each Carrot Cake Cinnamon Roll has just 100 calories!
Compared to your average store-bought cinnamon roll, these little treasures have an added nutrition bonus in the form of vitamin A and fiber from shredded carrots and cranberries.
Have a wonderful holiday and happy baking!
Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe by Elizabeth Shaw, MS, RD, CLT
1 package refrigerated reduced-fat croissant rolls
1 medium carrot, grated
2 tablespoons unsweetened dried cranberries
1 tablespoon apple sauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoon brown sugar
Vegetable-based margarine spray
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon light margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix carrots, cinnamon, cranberries, applesauce and sugar.
- Unroll croissants and place on light floured surface.
- Spray dough lightly with margarine spray.
- Gently place a medium spoonful of the carrot mixture into each croissant. Spread evenly. Roll up croissant and place on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Lightly mist top of croissant with margarine spray.
- Place in oven and cook for 15-18 minutes, or until tops become evenly browned.
- While cooking, make icing. Mix all ingredients for icing in bowl. Refrigerate.
- Once cinnamon rolls are cooled off a little, lightly drizzle icing over the top.
- Makes 8 rolls.