If you have picky eaters at home when it comes to vegetables, try roasting them. There’s something about this simple process that makes vegetables taste their best, and it couldn’t be simpler. Take a few ingredients, toss on a pan, place in the oven and … that’s it! While the veggies are roasting, whip up some broiled shrimp and brown rice to serve with this delicious side.
Lemon Thyme Roasted Broccoli
Recipe developed by Jamila René Lepore, MS, RDN
Serves 4 1-cup servings
4 cups broccoli florets
1 cup chopped leek*
4 whole garlic cloves
zest and juice of 1 lemon
cooking spray oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
salt and pepper
¼ cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spread broccoli, leek and garlic into a single layer on a lined baking pan.
- Squeeze lemon juice over vegetables and lightly mist with oil.
- Sprinkle lemon zest, thyme, salt and pepper (to taste), and parmesan over veggies.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, tossing the vegetables halfway and keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn! The dish is done when the vegetables are tender and golden brown.
* Substitutions: Use a sweet onion or shallot in place of the leek.
Nutrition Information (per serving — based on recipe as written): Calories: 65 Fat: 1.5g Carbohydrate: 8g Fiber: 3.5g Protein: 5g