After seeing green tea waffles on the menu of my local cafe, I decided to attempt this tasty tea-infused recipe in my own kitchen using matcha tea powder.
Matcha is a fine-ground green tea powder that offers nutritional benefits superior to regular green tea because you ingest the entire leaf, not just the brewed water.
These Matcha Tea Waffles are dairy-free, grain-free and loaded with antioxidants! Top them with traditional maple syrup or something a little more interesting, such as lemon-ginger coconut cream.
Matcha Tea Waffles
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon matcha tea powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- Heat waffle iron to medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking oil.
- In a high-speed blender, combine eggs, cashews, almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil and matcha tea powder. Blend until smooth.
- Add salt, baking soda and coconut flour and blend again until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of batter into waffle iron and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until done.
- Lift the lid, remove the waffle from the iron and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining batter.