These Raw Chocolate Malt Brownie Bites are sure to hit the spot with your sweet tooth, but also keep you on track through Valentine's Day. Ooey-gooey dates pulsed with finely ground almonds, hazelnuts, cacao powder, chopped chocolate chunks and a secret superfood ingredient to make these malt flavored. These are sure to please everyone!
I absolutely love these Raw Chocolate Malt Brownie Bites when I’m craving something sweet after dinner or for a quick snack. The perfect combination of healthy fats and carbohydrates is a hunger-killer combo. These brownie bites don’t have the same texture as a cooked brownie obviously — they’re not warm — but they’re still super decedent!
Why do I use maca powder? To create a natural and subtle malt flavor without using dairy at all. Maca is an excellent superfood, not only for the delicious flavor it contributes, but also for the nutrient density it gives these desserts.
Raw Chocolate Malt Brownie Bites
Recipe developed by McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN
1½ cups almonds
½ cup hazelnuts
½ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1½ cup dates, pitted
1 Vega Maca Chocolate bar (optional), chopped
1 tablespoon organic maca powder
1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place nuts in food processor/high-speed blender on pulse, and blend on high until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add the cocoa and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add the dates one at a time through the feed tube of the food processor while it is running. The end result will look like crumbs, but it should easily stick together (if not, add more dates).
- In a large bowl combine the ground nuts/dates with the remaining ingredients. Place this mixing bowl into the fridge for about 20 minutes to cool/harden.
- After chilled, roll the mixture into bite sized (about 1 tablespoon) balls and roll in the palm of your hand. Do this until the mixture is all rolled.
- Place rolled brownie bites onto a flat sheet or plate to cool before stacking into an airtight container for storage.
- Place in freezer or fridge until ready to serve. In an airtight container, these stay great in the freezer for long safe-keeping!
TEXTURE: I choose to leave the nuts a bit more chunky versus finely ground because I like the texture, but feel free to grind the nuts more if you like a smoother texture.
CHOCOLATE BAR: The Vega Maca chocolate is optional, but it gives it a nice bite and extra chocolate flavor. The maca powder is what really gives it the malt flavor!