If you want the salty and savory umami flavors that sushi provides — nourishing edamame to start, filling and hearty rice, saltwater seaweed, creamy avocado and crave-worthy soy sauce — without the bill that goes along with it, try this Deconstructed Vegan Sushi Bowl. In minutes, you get a sushi-esque meal without having to learn the art of rolling sushi at home!
Deconstructed Vegan Sushi Bowl
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 3 sheets nori
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ English cucumber, julienned
- ½ cup fresh shelled edamame (or, use thawed or cooked frozen)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ sweet potato, steamed or roasted
- ½ cup snow peas, raw or sautéed
- Soy sauce, tamari or liquid aminos, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower rice, nori, avocado, cucumber, edamame, bean sprouts, sweet potato and snow peas. Depending on your preference, include ingredients separately or toss them together.
- Serve with sauce of choice on the side. Serves 1.
- To make fresh cauliflower rice, cut 1 head of cauliflower into florets. Place florets in a food processor and pulse until desired rice-like consistency forms. You can eat cauliflower rice raw. Or, cook cauliflower rice over medium heat in a skillet that has been lightly coated with olive oil or sesame oil, for about 5 minutes. Serve warm. Alternatively, purchase frozen cauliflower rice and prepare according to package instructions.
- A note on food safety for bean sprouts: Raw bean sprouts may be unsafe for consumption, particularly for immune-compromised individuals, older adults, children and pregnant women. Please check with your healthcare provider before consumption.