Çılbır, a Turkish dish that combines a poached egg and yogurt, obviously sounds high in protein — but how does it taste? Excellent!
Çılbır can be a very filling breakfast, lunch or dinner! It can be eaten on its own or — even better — with crusty bread to soak up every last bit. The secret to Çılbır is Aleppo pepper (or, substitute red pepper flakes) and butter. You only need a small amount, but it is what takes this dish to the next level.
- 6 ounces plain, non-free Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- A splash of vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon butter
- A pinch of Aleppo pepper flakes (or red pepper flakes)
- Mix minced garlic and yogurt together and set aside.
- Poach egg: Crack egg into a bowl. Bring water to a gentle boil and add a splash of vinegar and pinch of salt. Make a whirlpool in the water with the back of a spoon, and gently lower the egg into the center of the whirlpool. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and mix in Aleppo pepper (or red pepper flakes).
- Place garlic-yogurt mixture into a serving bowl. Make an indentation in the center for the poached egg. Gently lower the poached egg into place and drizzle with peppered-butter.
- Eat with a spoon or soak up with bread