This vegan shepherd’s pie features nutty lentils, cooked with loads of hearty vegetables in a Dutch oven. Mashed rutabaga topping adds a beautiful golden hue and flavorful twist.
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
Developed by McKenzie Hall
Serving size: 1 cup (220 grams)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
- [30 grams] 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- [30 grams] ¼ cup shallots, diced
- [9 grams] 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- [180 grams] 1 cup green lentils, dry
- [240 grams] 2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- [30 grams] ½ cup celery leaves, diced
- [110 grams] 1 cup frozen peas
- [5 grams] 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- [2 grams] ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- [1 gram] ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- [960 grams] 4 cups (950 milliliters) low-sodium vegetable stock
- [780 grams] 2 medium rutabagas, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- [4 grams] ½ teaspoon salt
- [40 grams] 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add shallots and sauté about 2 minutes until translucent and lightly golden. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, stirring frequently for about a minute. Add lentils, carrots, celery leaves, peas, parsley, thyme, black pepper and vegetable stock to the Dutch oven. Stir with a spoon to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- While the lentil mixture is simmering, place rutabaga in a large saucepan and cover completely with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes until tender. Drain the rutabaga using a colander and return to the saucepan. Add salt and mash rutabaga with a vegetable masher until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and about 4 tablespoons of lentil cooking liquid until completely combined. Add the cornstarch slurry to the lentils and boil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Using a clean large spoon, scoop and spread mashed rutabagas on top of the cooked lentil mixture in the Dutch oven, creating a thin layer that completely covers the lentils. Place on middle oven rack and cook for about 30 minutes until lentil mixture is bubbling and mashed rutabagas are slightly crispy.
Nutrition Per Serving
CALORIES 218; TOTAL FAT 4g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 347mg; CARB. 37g; FIBER 11g; SUGARS 9g; PROTEIN 9g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in low-sodium vegetable stock not available.