Whole-Wheat Pretzel Bites with Asian-Style Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Small bites of soft pretzels made of honey and whole-wheat flour are served with a sweet-spicy sauce.
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2¼ teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3½ to 4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 to 12 cups water
- ¾ cup baking soda
- Sea salt for sprinkling on pretzels
- 1 egg, plus 1 tablespoon water mixed together
Asian-Style Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- To make pretzel bites, combine 1½ cups warm water, honey, melted butter, olive oil and dry yeast in a mixing bowl. Add 3½ cups whole-wheat flour and salt. Mix until a ball starts to form. If using a stand mixer, attach the dough hook and knead for 5 to 6 minutes.
- If kneading by hand, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 6 to 8 minutes. In either case, add the remaining ½ cup flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking. The dough should be soft but not sticky. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to rise in a warm spot for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 450°F. About 5 minutes before the dough is done rising, heat 10 to 12 cups of water to near boiling and sprinkle in baking soda. Reduce heat to medium-high. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place near the stove.
- Remove dough from the bowl and knead lightly to push out any air bubbles. Cut dough into 4 pieces. On a dry counter (do not flour the counter), roll each piece of dough into a rope; cut ropes into 1-inch pieces. Working in batches of 10 to 15 pieces, drop dough into the hot soda water and cook for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush pretzels with egg wash, sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool slightly and serve with dipping sauce. Serves 12.
- To prepare Asian-Style Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, whisk together Dijon mustard, honey, soy sauce and garlic chili sauce in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use (can be made a day ahead).
Serving size: 5 pretzel bites, 2 ounces dipping sauce
Calories: 207; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 21mg; Sodium: 607mg; Carbohydrate: 34g; Fiber: 4g; Sugars: 7g; Protein: 6g; Potassium: N/A; Phosphorus: N/A