Jackfruit Tacos with Avocado-Cilantro Crema
Jackfruit, an exotic Asian fruit, makes a delicious meat substitute in these vegetarian tacos. Slowly simmered with tomato and spices, it closely resembles shredded chicken in texture and flavor.
- [140 grams] 1 medium avocado
- [30 grams] 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) fresh lime juice
- [15 grams] ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- [110 grams] ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- [2 grams] ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil
- [120 grams] 1 cup red onion, diced
- [10 grams] 3 garlic cloves, minced
- [560 grams] 2 20-ounce cans jackfruit in water, drained and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- [4 grams] 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- [2 grams] 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- [2 grams] 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- [2 grams] 1 teaspoon chili powder
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- [<1 gram] ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- [35 grams] 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- [240 grams] 1 cup (240 milliliters) low-sodium vegetable broth
- [210 grams] 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- [150 grams] 1½ cups green cabbage, shredded
- Halve, pit and scoop avocado flesh out and into a food processor. Add lime juice, cilantro, yogurt and ¼ teaspoon salt. Blend until pureed and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes until tender and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add jackfruit and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Add cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, chili powder, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper and tomato paste, stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth to jackfruit and stir. Simmer 5 minutes until thickened but saucy, breaking apart the jackfruit with a spoon. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Set flame on gas stove to low. Using tongs, place corn tortilla over the grate for 30 seconds to lightly char on one side. Carefully remove tortilla from flame and set aside on a dish, repeating with remaining tortillas. If you do not have a gas stove, wrap stacked tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave 30 to 60 seconds.
- Divide shredded cabbage between tortillas. Top with jackfruit mixture and a dollop of avocado-cilantro crema. Serves 4.
Serving size: 2 tacos with 2 tablespoons avocado-cilantro crema (345 grams)
CALORIES 387; TOTAL FAT 11g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 2mg; SODIUM 381mg; CARB. 70g; FIBER 9g; SUGARS 33g; PROTEIN 8g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in ground cumin and low-sodium vegetable broth not available.