Farmers Market Savory Oatmeal
After an early morning trip to the farmers market, whip up this big bowl of comfort! It highlights vibrant, seasonal vegetables and showcases the savory side of oats.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup butternut squash, finely diced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2¾ cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 6 large sun-dried tomato halves (not oil-packed), finely chopped (do not rehydrate)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup old-fashioned whole-grain rolled oats
- 4 cups packed fresh red chard, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add squash, mushrooms and onion. Cook while stirring for about 10 minutes or until squash is just cooked through and mushrooms are fully softened. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add oats and squash-mushroom mixture. Stir occasionally until the oats are fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add chard and cook while stirring until the leaves are fully wilted, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest.
- Transfer to bowls and garnish with additional lemon zest, if desired. Serves 2.
Serving size: 2 cups
Calories: 336; Total fat: 10g; Saturated fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 1067mg; Carbohydrates: 57g; Fiber: 11g; Sugars: 12g; Protein: 9g; Potassium: N/A; Phosphorus: N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in low-sodium vegetable broth and old-fashioned rolled oats not available.