Grilling fruit really brings out its natural sweetness. Try a watermelon salad appetizer or swap ice cream for the Grilled Strawberry Banana Pizza below!
Grilled Strawberry Banana Dessert Pizza
- 1 16-ounce container strawberries, sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup rum
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 raw whole-grain pizza dough
- Chocolate syrup
- Clean grill. Spray the grill liberally with cooking spray before turning the grill on. Heat grill to 500°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together strawberries and bananas with rum and sugar. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Use a fork to combine goat cheese and honey until well-combined.
- Stretch whole-wheat dough. Spread goat cheese and honey mixture over the dough. Drain fruit and spread atop dough.
- Place the pizza on the grill and cook for 9 to 12 minutes, rotating the pizza every few minutes to make sure it does not stick.
- Remove from the grill and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Grilled Fruit Kebabs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 peach, halved and pit removed
- 1 plum, halved and pit removed
- 1 pineapple, skin and core removed
- 1 pear, halved and core removed
- Clean grill thoroughly and coat with cooking spray. Heat to 400°F.
- In a large plastic bag or bowl, whisk together honey, lemon juice and nutmeg. Add fruit to bag or bowl.
- Place fruit on the grill. Do not move fruit often. Flip softer fruits (peaches, plums) after 2 minutes and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Cook harder fruits (pineapple, pear) for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove grilled fruit and thread onto bamboo skewers. Serve fruit kebabs with granola, sorbet or yogurt.
Watermelon-Feta Salad Bites
- 1 small watermelon, cut into 1-inch wedges
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups arugula
- Balsamic glaze
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Squeeze lime juice over watermelon wedges and set aside.
- Clean grill and spray with cooking spray. Preheat grill to 350°F. Place watermelon on grill and cook for 5 minutes per side. Remove and sprinkle grilled watermelon slices with feta, balsamic glaze and arugula.
Grilled Apricot Halves with Goat Cheese
- 4 apricots, halved and pit removed
- ½ cup goat cheese
- ¼ cup honey
- Clean grill and spray with cooking spray. Preheat grill to 350°F.
- Cook apricots for 2 minutes each side. Remove and sprinkle with goat cheese and drizzle with honey.