A perfect make-ahead snack, almond-crusted tofu sticks are a savory treat with plenty of protein. Marinate extra-firm tofu in almond milk, crust with almond meal and seasoning, then bake.
This sponsored recipe is brought by the Almond Board of California as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Almond-Crusted Tofu Sticks
Recipe by Ginger Hultin, MS, RDN, CSO
- 1 (487 grams) 15-ounce block extra-firm tofu
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) tamari
- 1 tablespoon (21 grams) Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons (7 grams) cornstarch
- 1 cup (100 grams) almond meal
- 2 tablespoons (17 grams) nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon (1.3 grams) smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon (2.4 grams) sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon (0.65 grams) freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon (1.3 grams) garlic powder
Prepare the tofu by removing from package and pressing firmly on all sides with a clean dishtowel or paper towels to remove liquid. Slice into 8 1-inch x 1-inch x 3-inch rectangles and again, gently but firmly, press on all sides to remove additional moisture. In a large bowl, whisk the almond milk, tamari, Dijon mustard and cornstarch together, then transfer to a glass baking dish and add the tofu pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to marinate for 2 to 4 hours. After marinating and when ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, combine the coating ingredients: almond meal, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour 1/4 of the coating onto a large plate, then coat each piece of marinated tofu thoroughly by heavily flouring it with the remaining coating. Transfer the tofu pieces to a parchment-lined baking sheet with a spatula. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pieces are golden brown, flipping once halfway through baking. Serves 8.
Serving Size: 1 stick (85 grams)
CALORIES 132; TOTAL FAT 10g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 153mg; CARB. 5g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 1g; PROTEIN 10g; POTASSIUM NA; PHOSPHORUS NA
Note: Reliable potassium and phosphorus nutrition info for almond meal, Dijon and nutritional yeast could not be identified. This analysis assumed 10% absorption of marinade ingredients.