Perfect for brunch, this savory, open-faced, gluten-free pie is baked with caramelized onion and fennel topped with gorgonzola cheese, fennel fronds, sliced green apple and toasted sliced almonds.
This sponsored recipe is brought by the Almond Board of California as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Almond Flour Galette with Gorgonzola, Green Apple, Fennel and Sliced Almonds
Recipe by Zachari Breeding, MS, RDN, LDN
- 4 cups (250 grams) finely ground almond flour
- ½ tablespoon (8 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1 ¾ cup (190 grams) vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) water
- ½ tablespoon (7 milliliters) white vinegar
- ½ egg (23 grams), beaten
- 3 tablespoons (44 milliliters) olive oil
- 2 cups (175 grams) fennel, halved, sliced thin
- 1 cup (100 grams) yellow onion, halved, sliced thin
- ¾ cup (85 grams) sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 ½ cups (115 grams) green apple, quartered, sliced thin
- 2.8 ounces (80 grams) blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon (1 gram) fennel fronds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix almond flour, sugar and salt in food processor. Add shortening and pulse until combined. In separate bowl, mix water, vinegar and egg; add to flour mixture and pulse until well combined and ball has formed. The mixture will be looser than standard pie dough. Divide into 2 equal balls, then flatten them. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest 45 minutes under refrigeration. Remove one dough disc and place in center of 9-inch pie pan. (Reserve remaining disc for another use.) Press, do not roll, dough evenly to make pie crust, leaving about 1-inch of dough to fall over the ends. Bake 8-12 minutes or until firm and slightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in sauté pan and sauté fennel and onion until softened. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat 8-10 minutes. Remove cover, increase heat to high and cook until caramelized. Fill pie crust with mixture, then top with ½ almonds, followed by green apple, blue cheese, then remaining ½ almonds. Top with fennel fronds and close by gently folding the ends over the mixture (most of the mixture will remain exposed). Return to oven covered loosely with aluminum foil; bake 30 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing/serving. Serves 6.
Serving Size 1 slice (120 grams)
CALORIES 458; TOTAL FAT 42g; SAT. FAT 8g; CHOL. 17mg; SODIUM 380mg; CARB. 15g; FIBER 6g; SUGARS 6g; PROTEIN 11g; POTASSIUM NA; PHOSPHORUS NA
Note: Reliable potassium and phosphorus nutritionals for almond flour could not be identified. Analysis used fresh dill weed springs as substitute for fennel fronds.