This flavorful eggplant dish can be served as an appetizer with crusty bread or as a topping to your favorite protein. Toasted slivered almonds add an enhanced flavor that brings out the natural sweetness in the vegetables.
This sponsored recipe is brought by the Almond Board of California as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Caponata with Toasted Almonds
Recipe by Zachari Breeding, MS, RDN, LDN
- 5 tablespoons (74 milliliters) olive oil
- 4 cups (360 grams) eggplant, ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup (125 grams) onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons (18 grams) garlic, minced
- 14.5 ounces (411 grams) reduced-sodium canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons (55 grams) drained capers
- 2 tablespoons (6 grams) fresh basil, chiffonade
- ¾ cup (100 grams) almonds, sliced, toasted
- 1 teaspoon (7 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) crushed red pepper flakes
In sauté pan, add olive oil and sauté eggplant, onion and garlic for 10 minutes; eggplant will have softened significantly and onions will be translucent. Add canned tomatoes, vinegar and capers; simmer 15 minutes until mixture has thickened. Add toasted almonds, basil, and season with salt and pepper flakes. Serves 4.
Serving Size: 1 cup (231 grams)
CALORIES 306; TOTAL FAT 24g; SAT. FAT 3g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 818mg; CARB. 20g; FIBER 8g; SUGARS 7g; PROTEIN 8g; POTASSIUM 672mg; PHOSPHORUS 179mg