Smoothie … oatmeal … smoothie … oatmeal. Has your breakfast routine become repetitive and dull? Shake things up with this dish inspired by the Southwest. Whether you're looking to fuel up for a busy day of hiking or for back-to-back meetings, this dish is a delicious and satisfying breakfast with great macronutrient content!
- 2 to 3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Additional toppings: poached egg, avocado, lime juice, hot sauce or salsa
- Drizzle olive oil in a large pan (with a cover) and sauté sweet potatoes on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, red pepper and cumin.
- Add just enough water to fill the bottom of pan. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring often. Serves 2 to 4.
- For the skillet pictured above, I added pieces of diced avocado and a poached egg.