One thing I look forward to most about September is apple picking! Nothing beats fresh apples right off the tree. Not only do I bake with them, but I love adding them to stir-fries, soups and salads.
This broccoli crunch salad is made with sliced apples, grated carrot, sliced scallions, dried cranberries and toasted almonds, and is then tossed together with a light dressing. It is easy to make, super healthy, and delicious too! This recipe is great for meal prepping weekday lunches and is also an excellent way to consume more fruits and veggies. It’s the perfect fall salad.
Broccoli Crunch Salad with Apples and Almonds
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Combine broccoli, apple, carrot, scallions, cranberries and almonds together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together and then stir it into the salad. Serve, and enjoy!
- I used both broccoli florets and stalks in this salad. Cut the florets into bite-sized pieces and thinly slice the stalks.
- To toast the almonds, add them to a large skillet and toast for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat until browned and fragrant. No oil required!
- Any type of apple can be used!
- Red onion may be substituted for the scallions.
- Toasting almonds enhances their flavor and gives them some added crunch. Making them is simple. Add the nuts to a large skillet and toast over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until browned and fragrant. No oil required!