I used to work at a hospital as a clinical dietitian. When I worked there, every Wednesday was chicken tortilla soup day and the line was always insane. Because, it was THAT good! This recipe is in memory of that soup. I don’t work at the hospital anymore, but I think the chicken tortilla soup is still on the menu.
Tortilla soup is also one of those dishes I want to try at every restaurant that has it on the menu. They all have their own take on the recipe, and I love that. Plus, it is what we ate every day on spring break my junior year of college when we went to Cabo. Now that I think about it, tortilla soup means a lot to me!
I love this recipe, it is delicious, simple and is all my favorite recipes combined!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 to 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bag store bought tortilla chips
- Shredded Cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat.
- Add oil, onions and salt, let cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next add garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in cooked and shredded chicken and crushed tomatoes.
- Last, add chicken stock and bring soup to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips on top and any other additional toppings listed. Enjoy!