Creamy soups and bisques are so luscious, but typically are packed with so much butter and cream. Who wants soup with 400-plus calories per serving? Instead, start your dinner with this creamy vegan alternative. At just 100 calories per serving, you’ll have room for your entree and maybe even dessert or a glass of wine, too.
- 2 large (red, orange or yellow) bell peppers, diced
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ cups unsweetened cashew milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss onions and peppers with olive oil and cumin, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Place vegetables on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes or until edges of some pieces turn crisp and lightly charred.
- Remove vegetables from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Reserve ½ cup peppers for topping. Place remaining vegetables, cashew milk, bouillon cube and nutritional yeast in a blender and process until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings if needed and top with reserved peppers. Serve 1½ cups of soup in a bowl with a slice of crispy bread. Serves 2.
- Use a 16-ounce package of frozen onion-and-bell-pepper mix instead of fresh, if desired.
- Substitute 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese for a non-vegan option.