I’m always on the lookout for more fun ways to eat my veggies and encourage others to do the same. That’s where this delicious and fast creamy zucchini soup comes in!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 ½ pounds zucchini, unpeeled, cut lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 ½ ounces soft goat cheese, broken into several pieces
- Additional herbs or flavored oil for garnish
Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook about 1 minute.
Add the zucchini and broth. Adjust the heat so the soup reaches a soft boil, cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and add the basil and goat cheese. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth but thick. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Garnish with thyme, additional basil or the herb of your choice. If desired, drizzle a little chili pepper oil on each serving.
- No worries if you don’t have an immersion blender (though I’d sure hate to be without mine). You can also puree the soup in a traditional blender. Do it in batches and be very careful transferring hot liquids.