Looking for a low-carb, gluten-free alternative to waffles? Cauliflower rice combined with eggs, Parmesan cheese and scallions is all you need to make these tasty, crunchy waffles (no flour necessary). Top them with avocado or guacamole, sliced tomatoes and a fried egg (if desired) and serve them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Honest, these are really good! All of my taste testers loved them.
Crispy Cauliflower Waffles with Parmesan Cheese and Scallions
Recipe adapted from RDeliciousKitchen
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- For toppings: Dash of hot sauce, guacamole or sliced avocado, chopped tomato and fried egg if desired
- Steam cauliflower rice in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a clean towel or paper towel and press to remove excess moisture. Add cauliflower, scallions, cheese, garlic, eggs and red pepper flakes to a bowl and mix together. Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Heat waffle iron. Spray with cooking spray. Add ¾ cup of cauliflower mixture to waffle iron and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove from waffle iron and repeat process until you’ve made 4 waffles.
- Top with hot sauce, avocado slices or guacamole and chopped tomato. For a more substantial meal, top with a fried or poached egg.
Note: I used frozen cauliflower rice but to make your own cauliflower rice, simply grate fresh cauliflower on a box grater or in a food processor. You can also purchase a variety of frozen vegetable rices like broccoli and sweet potato that may work as an alternative to cauliflower rice in this recipe.