If there was ever a dish that I make on repeat throughout the summer, it’s definitely some version of this one. Whenever I need a quick side dish or a flavorful lunch, this is my go-to.
Cucumber tomato salad is perfect for using up those odds and ends that always seem to accumulate. You know… half a pint of grape tomatoes, half of a cucumber, a few sprigs of herbs. The ingredients are simple, but it still manages to pack big flavor.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Add-ins
Besides the obvious (cucumbers and tomatoes), you can jazz up the base ingredients with whatever you have on hand. For this recipe I went with fresh dill, salty feta cheese crumbles and red onion. Shallots, basil and lemon juice would be fantastic too!
Tips for Using Raw Onions in Salad
When it comes to using raw onion in a salad, I have a few suggestions because I know this can be a controversial ingredient:
- Slice the onions thin. Red onion is a fantastic way to add color and a peppery bite to a dish. Slice it thin so you get just the right amount in each bite (as opposed to huge chunks). Side note: this is a restaurant pet peeve of mine – when you order a salad and it comes out with huge pieces of raw onion. So long good breath! It’s been nice knowing you.
- Soak raw onions in cold water. You’ll notice in the recipe notes that I recommend soaking the raw onions while prepping the rest of the ingredients. This is a simple step that takes away some of the intense aftertaste. I also do this with radicchio to remove some of the bitterness.
- Use a small amount. This might go without saying, but don’t overdo it on the onions. I only used about one-quarter of a medium-size onion here, but you can certainly tailor this to your personal preference.
Besides serving cucumber tomato salad as a side dish, I love pairing it with orzo, chickpeas and tzatziki sauce to make a Mediterranean-inspired power bowl. You can also spoon it over grilled salmon or use it as a topping for “salad pizza”. It’s a beautiful and flavorful way to add some more vegetables to your meal.
Regardless of how you incorporate it, I think you’ll love having this salad stocked in the fridge. Take advantage of the flavorful seasonal produce while you can! You can thank me later.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, sliced in half moons
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh dill (thick stems removed), chopped
- ¼ Kosher sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Add grape tomatoes, cucumber, onion and feta cheese to a medium bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Add dill, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Garnish with additional dill!
When serving raw onions in a salad, I recommend soaking them in cold water while you prep the rest of your ingredients. This will take away some of the “bite” and save your breath!