This beautiful basmati brown rice blend includes red quinoa and freekeh for an intriguing fusion of texture and high-quality protein. And the turmeric in the curry powder provides a bright yellow hue that matches the bold flavor of this dish. Gear up for flavor with a bright and savory stir-fried grain bowl!
Curry-Spiced Grain Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked basmati brown, red quinoa and freekeh* rice blend
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon Jamaican curry powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon diced ginger
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup coconut flakes
*Note: Some brand names may not include freekeh in the product name; look for it in the ingredients list.
- In a medium saucepan add rice/quinoa blend, broth, water and 1 teaspoon curry powder.
- Bring to a boil, stir and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- In a deep skillet or wok, add vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon curry powder, carrots, onion, garlic and ginger, and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cooked rice to the skillet. Stir and sauté 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with green onion and coconut flakes.