Chili doesn’t get any easier than this! In a few easy steps, you can create a vegan dish that is packed with flavor and deeply satisfying. If you’re not a fan of quinoa, prepare the chili without it and enjoy it with a side of brown rice or served with a few corn tortillas and topped with avocado and fresh cilantro. The options are nearly endless.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and diced
- ¼ cup scallions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package instructions
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a soup pot over medium heat and sauté bell peppers, jalapeño, scallions, garlic, tomatoes and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, black beans and cooked quinoa. Turn heat to low-medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Serve with avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Whenever you use canned black beans, rinse and drain them before use to reduce added sodium.