Perfectly moist, sweet and filling, these gluten-free blueberry muffins just might blow your mind! They are absolutely delicious, but they are also free of sugar and artificial sweeteners. AND you don’t need any flour or expensive gluten-free baking mix to whisk them up! Made with 100% whole foods, these easy flourless blueberry muffins are tasty and nutrient dense.
Muffins are requested often by my family. I have been determined to make a muffin that has absolutely:
- ZERO added sugar
- ZERO artificial sweeteners
- ZERO flour
In the last year, I have become intrigued and excited about two different baking techniques: 1) bean-based desserts and sweet breads, 2) date-sweetened desserts. As a mom of two girls, I want my daughters to be able to enjoy some homemade treats but want to limit their consumption of added sugars. Instead of buying sweets and treats at the store, we make them at home.
Whether you are in search for a gluten-free muffin recipe or just looking for a wholesome but delicious one, these Easy Flourless Blueberry Muffins will become your new favorite go-to muffin recipe. Made with a can of chickpeas and a small scoop of oats, the base of these muffins might sound odd and unappealing, but they are everything you want a blueberry muffin to be — light, moist and fluffy. Seriously.
Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) are a great source of protein, fiber, iron and minerals. Beans are 100% gluten-free, making them a fantastic source of healthy carbohydrate for anyone needing to avoid gluten. They are also a foundational ingredient on the Mediterranean eating plan.
The other “secret” ingredient in these muffins are sweet, moist dates. When microwaved with a bit of water for a few minutes, they plump up and become remarkably soft so that they quickly puree in a food processor and become the “sugar” in the recipe. Find dates in the dried fruit section or the produce section of your grocery store. Even some warehouse stores have them. Look for pitted dates, but if you can’t find them, the pit is quite easy to remove.
If you are still a little skeptical, I get it, but this is one recipe worth trying at least once.
Why you are going to love this recipe:
- It is made entirely of whole foods — nothing processed
- It has absolutely NO artificial sugar
- It has NO added sugars — not even honey, maple syrup or agave
- The muffins are perfectly sweetened from dates
- The garbanzo bean and oatmeal base is rich in fiber, protein, iron and a variety of minerals
- They are moist and filling
- The muffins take less than 10 minutes to whip up.
- It makes 12 servings so you can enjoy them all week!
Easy Flourless Blueberry Muffins
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup medjool dates about 130-140 grams or about 8 dates
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- Place dates in a microwave safe container along with 1 cup of water and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Drain off water.
- Place softened dates and chickpeas in food processor and process until mostly smooth (you will need to scrape down the sides 2 or 3 times). Add in rest of the ingredients except blueberries and process until a batter forms.
- Stir in blueberries. Scoop into greased muffin tin and bake on 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Make sure you drain water off dates before putting into food processor.