This quick and easy microwave apple crisp recipe is made with five ingredients and in under five minutes. The simplest fall dessert made for one! As if apple crisp couldn’t get any better, it’s made in five minutes – in a mug – in a microwave!
What kind of apple do I use?
You can really use any apple you have, but my favorites are Granny Smith and Gala, since they hold their shape better when cooked. As much as I love McIntosh apples, they turn into applesauce when cooked. This isn’t called microwave applesauce, folks.
Can I make this gluten free?
You can certainly make this gluten-free by using your favorite gluten-free granola and swapping the flour for a gluten-free flour, or cornstarch instead.
What kind of granola do I use?
My favorite types of granola to use are ones without any added fruits, nuts, or seeds, since those aren’t typically used in an apple crisp. Vanilla or cinnamon flavored granolas are my go-to, but feel free to use your own favorite, knowing the flavor may change the overall taste of the crisp.
- Buy in bulk. Apples are in season! Buy a big ol’ bag, and use the rest for more crisps, or a healthy snack. Buying granola and flour in bigger sizes as well is a more cost-effective option.
- Use store brands. Opt for store brands for things like flour and sugar for a less expensive option that doesn’t sacrifice flavor or quality.
Five Ingredient Microwave Apple Crisp
- 1 large apple (a firm apple like Fuji, Gala, or Granny Smith work best), peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granola, divided
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Add apple slices, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon to a microwave-safe mug.
- Stir until apples are fully coated.
- Top with 1 ½ tablespoons of granola, and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until apples are softened. Let cool in microwave for 1 minute before removing carefully. (Careful: mug will be very hot!)
- Top with remaining granola and dollop of whipped cream or ice cream if desired.