It was my job, as a highschooler, to eat a banana split for dinner once a summer. I took my job very seriously, despite the bloat baby than ensued after a good pint of ice cream, syrupy fruit and hot fudge that made its way to my stomach. Worth it.
While annual banana splits may not be on my summer bucket list nowadays, I still have a soft space in my heart for that combo of flavors, textures and all-around sweetness only a split can give one ice cream-lovin’ girl. So I made a bit of a healthier version in the form of these healthy frozen banana pops covered in the essence of the split.
Only 6 ingredients.
A serving(ish) of fruit in each pop.
The perks of being a kid-friendly recipe to make with kids of all ages this summer.
Chocolate. Did I mention LOTS of chocolate?
Money-Saving Tips for these Healthy Frozen Banana Pops
- Freeze Ahead. Before those bananas go bad, peel them, cut them in half and stick them with a chopstick/popsicle stick before freezing. Not only does it save you from throwing them out, but they are also ready to go whenever you are.
- Use store brands. Utilize store brands for items such as the chocolate chips and pineapple. These tend to be more cost-effective without sacrificing flavor or quality.
- Buy in bulk. Purchase walnuts in the bulk section, which tend to be a more affordable option. You can also buy just the amount you need to reduce food waste.
6 ingredient frozen banana split pops
- 3 bananas, cut in half
- 3 sets of chopsticks, cut in half (or 6 popsicle sticks/skewers)
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or other neutral oil such as canola or avocado oil)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup chopped strawberries (about 10 medium strawberries)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Skewer each banana half and freeze on prepared baking sheet for 2 to 3 hours, or until bananas are firm to the touch.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in coconut oil.
- Dip banana in chocolate to coat.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, strawberries and pineapple.
- Repeat process for remaining bananas.
- Enjoy immediately, or freeze in resealable container for up to 2 weeks.
Make vegan-friendly or dairy-free by using dairy-free chocolate chips. Since the bananas are frozen, the chocolate freezes on them quickly. It works best to sprinkle each banana with toppings immediately after dipping in chocolate, as opposed to dipping all of the bananas in chocolate first.