When you follow a gluten-free or grain-free diet, you can sometimes feel a bit deprived when it comes to that slice of bread with a meal. Whether it’s to slather in a dipping sauce or use as a vessel to carry in the rest of your meal, bread is a major part of most cuisines. This delicious Garbanzo Bean Flour Pancake recipe really does the trick and it’s incredibly simple to throw together.
How to Make the Garbanzo Bean Flour Pancake
- First, get to the store and buy yourself some garbanzo bean flour. It’s about $2 to $3 for a 16-ounce bag and all it contains is ground up dried garbanzo beans.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend together the flour with water, olive oil, salt and spices. Allow the mixture to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Oil up a medium-sized cast iron skillet and place it over high heat. Pour the garbanzo bean flour mixture into the hot pan so that you can cook the bottom of the pancake for a few minutes.
- Then, throw that hot pan into the hot oven. Allow the pancake to cook for about 20 minutes, and then remove from the oven.
How to Serve
Cut the garbanzo bean pancake into even 8 slices and serve it warm as a side to your meal. You can also use the whole pancake as a pizza crust and top wit with some marinara sauce and shredded cheese. Use the pancake to dip into garlic sauce or top it with your favorite meats and cheeses.
Garbanzo Bean Flour Pancake
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 2½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Blend together the water, flour, 2 tablespoons oil, salt and seasonings. Allow the mixture to rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a medium cast iron skillet on high heat with ½ tablespoon oil. Allow the skillet to heat up for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the pancake batter into the hot skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, place the skillet into the oven for 20 minutes to finish cooking.
- Remove from the oven and place the pancake onto a plate. Slice into 8 pieces.