It’s no secret that fall is one of my favorite seasons! I love everything about this time of year, and for the past few days, we’ve actually been experiencing some fall weather in the south! The cooler weather makes me crave cozy sweaters and warm and cozy recipes, such as this Garlicky Kale Sausage and Butternut Squash Pasta Bake!
This easy pasta dish is the ideal recipe for this time of year. It contains so many yummy flavors, cheese, and a ton of feel-good nutritional benefits, thanks to the kale and butternut squash. Butternut squash happens to be a staple ingredient in several of my fall recipes because they’re so versatile and beneficial to your overall health.
Health Benefits of Butternut Squash
- Supports your immune system: Butternut squash is full of beta-carotene and alpha-carotene, which is converted into Vitamin A. Vitamin A is contains anti-inflammatory properties which helps to support immune function.
- Supports eye health: Butternut squash contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which may help protect your eyes from ultraviolet rays.
- Supports digestion: Butternut squash is a good source of fiber, which aids in proper digestion.
Garlicky Kale Sausage and Butternut Squash Pasta Bake
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 and ½ cups butternut squash, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 and ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1- pound rigatoni pasta
- 1 bunch kale leaves, stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- Salt/pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add in the oil and Italian Sausage. Cook until the meat is browned and cooked through, and transfer to a plate.
Reduce the heat to medium, and add in the butternut squash, garlic, paprika and sage. Stir for about 8 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Pour in the chicken broth, and simmer over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
Stir in the noodles, kale and milk, and cover. Once the noodles are cooked and the kale is tender, remove from the heat. Stir in the sausage and ½ of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer to a baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.