Although I have nothing against eggs for breakfast, I felt like mixing it up this morning by scrambling some tofu and throwing in a few Greek-inspired flavors. Tofu is very versatile and will take on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. The key is to use extra firm tofu, and I add nutritional yeast flakes to give it a slightly “cheesy” flavor as well as a dash of turmeric to give it a nice yellow color.
If the olives and sun-dried tomatoes are too much for your taste buds in the morning, you can leave out the olives or use fresh cherry tomatoes instead. Serve with a hearty whole-grain toast or a toasted English muffin topped with avocado for a filling and quick breakfast.
Other tofu scramble ideas and tips:
Tofu is so versatile, you can combine it with just about any flavor under the sun and not go wrong. I always use a base of extra firm tofu, mash it lightly with a fork and throw in a little salt, pepper, nutritional yeast (this is key to give it a slightly cheesy, “eggy” flavor) and turmeric to give it a golden color. Simply toss in a skillet with your other ingredients until heated through and tofu loses some of its moisture and browns a bit. Here are a few of my favorite go-to tofu scramble ideas for a quick breakfast or brunch. They all contain naturally vegan ingredients, but you can certainly add cheese to these as well!
Mexican Tofu Breakfast Skillet
Combine extra firm tofu, black beans, green onions and your favorite salsa (add a sprinkle of cheddar cheese or top with avocado if desired).
Pesto Tofu Breakfast Skillet
Combine extra firm tofu, basil pesto and sliced tomatoes (add goat cheese or feta cheese if desired).
Garden Tofu Breakfast Skillet
Combine extra firm tofu, kale, yellow onion, crimini mushrooms and a sprinkle of fresh thyme (add Provolone cheese if desired).
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 6-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 handful fresh spinach leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped sun-dried tomatoes (I used sun-dried tomatoes in oil with the oil drained off)
- 1 tablespoon minced pitted Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Add the tofu and gently mash with a fork to form a crumbled texture. Add spinach and toss together in the skillet for a few minutes until tofu heats up. Add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, and a dash of salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olives and feta cheese and continue to heat until all ingredients are warmed and tofu is slightly browned. It should have a nice golden color from the turmeric.
- Divvy tofu scramble between two plates and serve with toast or an English muffin topped with avocado slices.