Halloween is not just about the candy, my friends. Have a little fun with some healthy foods, too! This guacamole recipe is super simple and includes only five base ingredients: avocado, lime, red onion, cilantro and salt!
- 3 avocados pitted and peeled
- 1 lime, juiced
- ⅓ cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
Chop the red onion and cilantro. Juice the lime. Peel and pit the avocados.
Place the avocados in a mixing bowl along with the lime juice and salt. Mash the ingredients together with a potato masher or fork until you reach your desired consistency. Stir in the red onion and cilantro.
Spooky Spider Web
For the web, pipe four circles of sour cream onto the guacamole. Using a knife, draw lines from the inner circle to the edge of the bowl. For the spider, use one whole black olive for the body and sliced olives for the legs.
Monster Mash Face
Honestly, you can use whatever ingredients you have on hand — a fun activity for the kids! I used blue corn tortilla chips for the hair and nose and sliced cucumber with black beans for the eyes and black beans for the mouth.
- Be sure to use avocados that are ripe, but not overripe. A ripe avocado will yield to pressure if you give it a gentle squeeze. To help speed the ripening process, place the avocados in a brown paper bag along with some bananas overnight.
- Feel free to mix in any extras, if desired, such as a fresh garden tomato, a jalapeno or serrano pepper, cumin, black pepper or cayenne pepper.
- A white onion could be substituted for the red onion.
- I do not recommend substituting bottled lime juice or dried cilantro. Fresh ingredients are what makes this recipe so amazing!