It's called "Death by Chocolate" Cake, but it contains a hearty dose of fiber-filled whole grains and even manages to sneak in an entire serving of vegetables.
Oh, and let's not forget the nuts! Using a variety of your favorites will really take the texture up a notch and leave you feeling pleasantly satisfied. You can also rest assured knowing a slice tops out at around 300 calories and less than 2 grams of saturated fat!
"Death by Chocolate" Cake
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup dry oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup stevia (or other sugar or sweetener of choice)
- ⅔ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- ¼ cup liquid egg whites
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup melted light vegan butter
- ⅓ cup low-sodium, low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup fat-free milk mixed with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ to ⅓ cup chopped nuts or seeds (such as pistachios, almonds or pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Gently fold the dry into the wet ingredients, stirring evenly until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into an 8-inch spring form pan sprayed with cooking spray, using a spatula to scrap the sides of the bowl.
- Bake in the oven for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While cake cools, prepare frosting in a small bowl by adding all ingredients and stirring thoroughly using a hand whisk.
- Pour frosting over cake and top with chopped nuts. Serves 12.