Looking for something hearty and healthy? Try this super-simple, vegan stew with beans and kale. I prefer cannellini beans (also known as white kidney beans), but navy beans and great northern beans will do just fine. Also, if you're not usually a fan of kale, give this recipe a try. The kale will wilt in the broth and complement the beans.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups fresh kale, cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ teaspoons fresh rosemary, diced
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in canola oil for 5 to 6 minutes, until softened.
- Add broth, kale, carrots and beans. Increase to high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables and beans are soft.
- Add rosemary and simmer another 5 minutes. Serves 8.