Taco night is made easy with beef cooked in a slow cooker in a sweet and spicy Asian-inspired sauce.
This sponsored recipe is brought by Kikkoman® as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Recipe by Karman Meyer, RDN, LDN
- ½ medium cucumber, sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon Kikkoman® Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups roughly chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons Kikkoman® Less Sodium Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kikkoman® Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Kikkoman® Sesame Oil, divided
- 2 pounds top round roast (trimmed of visible fat)
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- Toppings (if desired): Asian pickled cucumbers, shredded carrots, cilantro, sesame seeds
Prepare the Asian pickled cucumbers by placing the sliced cucumbers in a small bowl. Add the rice vinegar, sugar and salt and mix well. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator to pickle for 12 to 24 hours. Drain the liquid before serving.
To prepare the beef, add the onion to the bottom of the slow cooker. Make the sauce by combining the soy sauce, beef broth, garlic, brown sugar, sriracha sauce and 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside. In a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of sesame over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the beef to the skillet and sear on each side for 2 minutes. Place the beef on top of the onions in the slow cooker and pour the sauce over the beef. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 hours. Before serving, shred the beef using two forks.
For the tacos, place about ⅓ cup of beef on each tortilla and top with pickled cucumbers, carrots, cilantro and sesame seeds, as desired. Serves 6.
Serving Size: 1 taco
CALORIES 456; TOTAL FAT 16g; SAT. FAT 5g; CHOL. 94mg; SODIUM 850mg; CARB. 36g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 8g; PROTEIN 39g