One of my favorite probiotic foods is kefir, because most brands contain at least 12 different strains of gut-healthy bacteria. That’s why I made this Lemon Herb Kefir Salad Dressing. I often add kefir to my overnight oats or smoothie bowl. I love the tangy flavor it adds to both, so I thought, why not a kefir salad dressing? ‘Cause sometimes greens like a little tang.
This kefir salad dressing is a perfect way to use preserved lemons. Don’t worry if you don’t have preserved lemons – you can stick to fresh lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice. But, if you happen to find a bunch of fresh lemons, why not preserve a few? You’ll have them on hand to use in recipes for months.
Lemon Herb Kefir Salad Dressing
- ½ medium avocado
- ½ cup plain kefir
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons preserved lemons (or zest of 1 lemon plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice), minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 to 3 tablespoons water as needed to thin
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
Combine the avocado, kefir, vinegar, olive oil, herbs, garlic powder and ½ teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Add water to thin as needed. Taste and add additional salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- This recipe makes about ¾ cup and can be doubled. Keep any leftover dressing in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.