Chocolate and coffee — my two vices. I bet some of you can relate. This time of year, chocolate is everywhere in the stores, tempting me. But those gourmet chocolate bars are a pretty penny — you can easily pay $6 for one bar!
But I’ll let you in on a little secret: It’s way too simple not to create your own at home! The best thing about homemade chocolates is you can add your own unique twists to it like I did! This Mocha & Quinoa Crunch Bar is inspired from a yummy quinoa bar that I’ve purchased at the store.
I added mocha and vanilla to give it a unique flavor profile. The possibilities are endless and left to your imagination. Some like it spicy with cayenne, and some like it sweet with cinnamon, but I like a little crunch and, because chocolate is always better with coffee, espresso was added to give it a mocha flavor. As you prepare for Valentine’s Day, add this gourmet chocolate bar to your list.
What are you favorite chocolate combinations?
Mocha & Quinoa Crunch Bar
Recipe developed by Kristina LaRue, RD
Makes around 12 ½-oz. servings
2 tablespoons quinoa
1 cup dark chocolate baking chips
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place wax paper on rimmed baking sheet.
- In small pan, toast quinoa over medium heat until it begins to pop, about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, place chocolate in medium-size microwave-safe bowl and melt chocolate in microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir coffee and vanilla into melted chocolate and continue to stir until smooth. If needed, place chocolate back in microwave for 10-15 seconds to melt thoroughly.
- When chocolate is smooth, stir in quinoa.
- Pour chocolate onto baking sheet lined with wax paper and spread until smooth on top.
- Allow to dry until chocolate hardens. Store in air-tight container.