Product reviewed: GreenPan Venice Pro Ceramic Non-Stick 2-piece Open Frypan Set
A good pan is a kitchen staple. As a dietitian and chef, I have been asked numerous times what kind of pan I use when cooking. Do I use nonstick, cast iron or something else? I respond that I’ve always used some type of nonstick pans, but some people then comment that toxicants from some nonstick coatings are not healthy. This is true, so buying high-quality pans with non-toxic coatings is important.
I was excited to try GreenPan’s Venice Pro Ceramic Non-Stick 2-piece Open Frypan Set because of its ceramic coating and nonstick, non-toxic reputation. Plus, I was curious if it actually is “green.” These environment-friendly features had me ready to throw out all my nonstick pans.
The GreenPan set of frypans has a sand-like coating that does not release toxicants and is earth-friendly. Plus, these frying pans are stunning, heavy-duty and easy to clean. The handles are oven-safe for times when you want to start a dish on the stove but finish in the oven. Think of all the frittatas you could make! The nonstick coating also allows for using less oil. While testing the pans, I used enough oil for flavor and texture, or for the overall satisfaction that fat brings to a dish, but it wasn’t necessary for the food not to stick to the pan.
These pans heat evenly, and all the food I made cooked well at the same rate, for the most part. I have used the pans almost daily, making everything from French toast, egg dishes, chicken and vegetables in a simmer sauce, and stir-fry.
GreenPan recommends hand-washing these pans. The company also advises against using metal utensils when cooking. I am used to this and like using silicone utensils, but it might not work for everyone. I also will note that ceramic pans are not supposed to be overheated. Because they heat evenly and quickly, you don’t need such a high flame. As someone who usually cooks with high heat, I was mindful to not turn the gas up too high. This is a possible con, in that it requires some extra thought; however, making a stir-fry dish that typically needs higher heat worked just fine with medium heat.
For me, the true test of a pan is making a dish that contains eggs, so I tested my family’s favorite: migas (recipe below).
Overall, the GreenPan Venice Pro Ceramic Non-Stick 2-piece Open Frypan Set is a great investment and a cook’s dream kitchen tool. I really did throw out my old pans, and I’m very excited to have these as my go-to pans.
Migas (Fried Corn Tortillas & Eggs)
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 corn tortillas, cut into half-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Green onions
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs and milk and set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add corn tortillas pieces and cook until browned.
- Remove tortillas from the pan and set aside.
- To the pan, add bell pepper and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tortillas back into pan, then add eggs, folding and moving around the pan to cook but not overly brown eggs.
- When eggs are mostly set, add cheese and fold into eggs (optional).
- When cheese has melted and eggs are set, remove and serve immediately.
- Garnish with cilantro and optional toppings such as green onions, avocado and salsa.