Pomegranates are one of my favorite fruits that are in season this time of year. They are perfect as a snack or atop a salad because of their sweet and tart flavor. Pomegranates are a great source of vitamin C, which helps enhance the immune system. Do you think it’s a coincidence that pomegranates come into season just as the cold and flu season begins? I think Mother Nature knows a thing or two about what our bodies naturally need!
Pomegranates also contain potassium, which helps maintain normal blood pressure, regulate fluids in our bodies and reduces the risk of kidney stones — talk about a superfood!
After picking up a pomegranate at a farmer’s market, I created this delicious salad recipe. It contains a great blend of vegetables, healthy fats and high fiber carbohydrates. And it is ready in less than 5 minutes!
Pomegranate-Kale Superfood Salad with Goat Cheese
Recipe by Lori Zanini, RD, CDE
1 bunch kale, stems removed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup pecans
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Salt & pepper
- Wash kale and tear into small pieces. Dry kale thoroughly. Place in a large bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon and pour olive oil over the kale. Massage the oil and lemon juice into the kale until it is well-coated.
- Wash pomegranate and remove seeds. Place in bowl with kale.
- Place pecans in a skillet on the stovetop over medium low heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning often.
- Add pecans and goat cheese to the kale mixture. Add dash of salt and pepper, to taste. Toss all ingredients to combine and enjoy!