This protein mug cake is just the sweet treat you’ve been looking for. This recipe calls for 6 simple ingredients and is ready to eat in just one minute. Plus, it packs in 15 grams of protein — making it the perfect post workout snack, satisfying breakfast or healthy dessert.
Is this protein mug cake healthy?
Absolutely! This recipe packs in 15 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber. This balance of nutrients provides long-lasting energy and helps you feel more satisfied. This mug treat is low in added sugars and is naturally sweetened from ripe banana. Feel free to enjoy this protein powder mug cake for breakfast or dessert.
Protein Mug Cake
- Cooking spray
- ½ small ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons (about 15 grams) chocolate or vanilla protein powder of your choice
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon milk or milk-alternative of your choice
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
Spray a large mug with cooking spray. Add banana to mug and mash until mostly broken down.
Add in protein powder, peanut butter, milk, chocolate chips and baking powder. Stir until everything is fully combined into a batter-like consistency. Microwave for 60 to 75 seconds. Then, let cool for 30 seconds. Batter should be mostly dry to the touch and have a cakey texture.
Enjoy with more peanut butter and chocolate chips over top, if desired.
- You want to use a large mug because the cake will puff up in the microwave when it cooks. Using a large mug prevents it from spilling over the sides.