I'm so excited about this savory flatbread with a twist of sweet! Toasty flatbread topped with vibrant frozen raspberries will light up your plate with color. Red raspberries and caramelized onion, a drizzle of balsamic glaze and layers of mozzarella are the stars, while fresh basil, arugula and walnuts round out this summer-like appetizer — perfect for the patio or a backyard gathering.
Frozen red raspberries are an easy, delicious staple ingredient…not only because they are versatile and work in so many recipes, but they also contain the highest fiber content of any berry — 9 grams per cup with only 80 calories! So refresh your flatbread with this sweet and savory delight.
This sponsored recipe is brought by the National Processed Raspberry Council as part of Food & Nutrition's Recipe Roundup program.
- [520 grams] 4 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- [24 grams] 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- [255 grams] 1 cup (240 milliliters) balsamic vinegar
- [59 grams] ¼ cup sugar
- [509 grams] 4 naan flatbreads, unflavored
- [181 grams] 1 cup fresh mozzarella pearls
- [119 grams] 1 cup frozen raspberries (do not thaw)
- [32 grams] 4 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- [12 grams] 1 cup arugula
- [5 grams] ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Place a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and onions, stirring to coat onions. Cook for 5 minutes at medium high heat and then reduce heat to low, continuing to cook for an additional 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring the balsamic vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium. Stir frequently and continue cooking until mixture reduces by half, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Once reduced, remove from heat, pour into another heat-safe bowl and cool in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- While onions are cooking and balsamic glaze is cooling, heat grill (or oven) to 450°F. Briefly toast flatbread on grill for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once with grill tongs. Remove the flatbread from grill and place on a wooden cutting board.
- Layer each flatbread with the following: ½ cup caramelized onions, 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze, ¼ cup mozzarella pearls, ¼ cup frozen raspberries and 1 tablespoon crushed walnuts. (Reserve any leftover balsamic glaze for another use.) Carefully place flatbreads back on the grill for 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese is melted and very light golden brown.
- Relocate flatbreads to wooden cutting board and top each flatbread with ¼ cup arugula and 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil. Cut flatbread into slices with pizza cutter. Serve warm.
Calories 365; Total Fat 15g; Saturated Fat 5g; Cholesterol 18mg; Sodium 319mg; Carbohydrate 48g; Fiber: 3g; Sugars 14g; Protein 11g; Potassium N/A; Phosphorus N/A
Note: Reliable potassium and phosphorus nutrient data for fresh mozzarella pearls was not available at the time of this recipe analysis.