You can never have too many quick and easy vegetable sides. Think outside the box a bit with this roasted carrots with lentils recipe. Featuring crunchy, roasted lentils and sweet carrots over ricotta and Asiago cheese, this divine combination of textures and flavors brings together important nutrients like protein, fiber, vitamin A, potassium and folate in a delectable way.
Recipe developed by Kati Mora, MS, RDN
- 4 medium carrots, sliced in half, length-wise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup roasted lentils
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoon grated Asiago cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter. Add honey and stir until well combined.
- Using a pastry brush, fully coat each carrot with honey-butter mixture. Place carrots on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 28 to 30 minutes, or until edges begin turning golden brown.
- While carrots are roasting, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 tablespoon Asiago cheese.
- Divide cheese mixture in half and plate on two plates. Sprinkle remaining Asiago cheese on top of each plate.
- Remove carrots from the oven and place four carrot slices on each plate, making sure to press slightly down into cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup lentils over each, serve and enjoy!