When I had my baby shower, my mother-in-law made an egg casserole that was a big hit. I asked her for the recipe, and, with some modifications and testing, I'm ready to share.
It is perfect for throwing together the night before and then baking in the morning. Plus, it's packed with veggies and protein. And it tastes great!
Sausage and Vegetable Egg Bake
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- 5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove moisture
- 2 chicken sausages, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 4 ounces grated cheese (such as colby jack)
- 1½ cups milk
- 3 cups cubed bread (such as an Italian loaf or baguette)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well-combined.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 9-by-9-inch baking pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove pan from refrigerator. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until desired degree of doneness is reached. Using a food thermometer, the internal temperature should read 160°.
- Cut and serve warm.