Product reviewed: Nordic Ware Waffle Puff Pan
My morning breakfast routine typically consists of quick, nutritious meals like avocado toast or oatmeal. Making waffles isn’t high on my list, mostly because of the time it takes. But I have been convinced otherwise by the ease and delicious waffle creations of the Nordic Ware Waffle Puff Pan.
This pan isn’t like a traditional waffle maker. Instead of the fluffy waffles you are used to, this kitchen gadget creates crispy, honeycomb-like treats using a sweet, egg-based batter. Its cast aluminum non-stick finish is inspired by egg waffles, which are a popular street food in Hong Kong and Malaysia.
The tool consists of two plates that clasp together easily. You simply place one side of the pan on a medium-hot stove surface, fill with batter, clasp the second plate on top and turn every two minutes until the waffle is cooked evenly.
In my first attempt, I tried the traditional egg waffle recipe shared on the product packaging. It took about 20 minutes to prepare the batter and another 15 minutes to cook the waffles. Since it was the weekend, I had plenty of time, but it would be difficult to make these during the week when I need a quick breakfast. Additionally, the recipe consisted of more sugar that I would like. While delicious, it was certainly a treat. (In fact, I think these would make great desserts!)
The second time I decided to use my own Blueberry Protein Waffle recipe. The result was a total success. The protein waffle cooked evenly, and since the recipe was for a single serving, I was done in a matter of minutes.
This is a perfect tool for anyone who wants to create a unique, culturally-inspired treat. You can use any batter and have fun with toppings to impress guests, or in my case, my husband! Fresh mixed berries with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and banana slices with almond butter were our favorites.
The two cast aluminum plates are heavy, so be careful when flipping and be sure not to slam them down on the stove top. Also, start small with the batter as it will spread out when you place the second plate on top.
The Nordic Ware Waffle Puff Pan is a fun kitchen gadget to whip out on special occasions. It makes Instagram-worthy waffles and can be used with many different recipes, whether for a nutritious breakfast or a sweet treat.
Blueberry Protein Waffles
- ½ cup egg whites
- cup oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup fresh blueberries
- Blend egg whites, oats, cinnamon and vanilla extract for 15 seconds.
- Pour mixture into Nordic Ware Waffle Puff Pan or waffle iron, or you can use an oiled, small saucepan to make a pancake. Mixture should cover entire surface of the pan.
- Evenly place blueberries in mixture. Place pan over medium heat.
- If using waffle puff pan, flip after 2 minutes and repeat until waffle is evenly cooked. If making a pancake, cook until batter on the surface is hardening, then flip and cook for 30 to 60 more seconds.
- Finish with your choice of toppings — almond butter, maple syrup, agave nectar or fresh fruit!