It is no secret that I am totally obsessed with kombucha. I tasted it for the first time years ago but I’ve developed a new appreciation for it lately and I’m not quite sure why. Obviously there’s the health benefits. Kombucha contains live and active cultures (similar to yogurt) and can help strengthen your gut microbiome.
Then of course there’s the refreshing bubbles. The subtle sweetness. The interesting flavor combinations. I could go on and on. It might seem silly, but I think my favorite quality is the fact that it just feels special to drink. Most of the local breweries here have kombucha on tap for a non-alcoholic option that looks almost identical when poured in a beer glass. Some even taste like it too! It’s more exciting than tap water without all of the sugar that comes with sodas and juices.
I love a good “kombucha happy hour” at the end of a workday when I’m not in the mood for alcohol but want to sip on something while I cook dinner too. You certainly don’t need to mix it with anything but for a special occasion, why not spruce it up a bit? I decided I wanted to do a riff on a margarita where the tequila is optional.
Spicy Kombucha Margaritas
- 1 lime, juiced
- 5 thin slices of jalapeño
- 5 fresh blackberries (any seasonal fruit can be substituted)
- 1 cup kombucha (Jalepeño Kiwi Cucumber was used, but any flavor works great)
- Muddle lime juice with the blackberries and 3 jalapeño slices at the bottom of a stemless wine glass or jar.
- Add the kombucha, stirring gently to combine.
- Fill the remainder of your glass with ice and garnish with extra jalapeño.