There’s so much going on in this dish — sweet and tart, creamy and crunchy — and it all works together to make a salad that’s a treat for the taste buds. What’s more, it’s filled with an abundance of health promoting nutrients. The bonus? It’s beautiful! And it’s the perfect salad to take to that get-together with friends or family.
I start with a variety of greens, like spinach, arugula, kale, and red leaf lettuce, but feel free to use whatever greens you’d like. Then I add shaved Brussels sprouts, toasted spiced walnuts, fresh orange segments, and Gorgonzola cheese. All that’s needed after that is a drizzle of homemade Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette. Seriously, this salad has become a favorite.
Nutritionally, it’s got a lot going for it: fiber, Vitamins A and C, a bit of protein from the cheese and walnuts, healthy fats, antioxidants and other nutrients — definitely a nutritional gem. This Spinach, Arugula and Pomegranate Salad makes a wonderful side dish for the holiday or a tasty lunch all by itself.
Time-Saving Salad Tips:
- Use plain toasted walnuts or purchase walnuts already spiced and toasted
- Buy Brussels sprouts that are already shaved or sliced
- Instead of a whole pomegranate, buy arils that have already been removed from the pomegranate
- Use pre-chopped kale instead of chopping your own
- Feel free to substitute your favorite vinaigrette for the homemade Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette
Spinach, Arugula & Pomegranate Salad with Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette
For the Toasted Walnuts
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
For the Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Juice from ½ an orange (about 1 ½ Tbsp)
- 1 ½ Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp chopped scallion
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
For the Salad
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 cup shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 orange, peeled, sectioned, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup toasted, spiced walnuts
- ¼ cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Whisk together the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and brown sugar in a small bowl. Pour the 1 Tbsp. olive oil over the walnuts in a medium bowl and stir. Add mixed sugar and spices to the walnuts and toss together until the spices and sugar are distributed evenly over the walnuts.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread prepared walnuts evenly in one layer on the parchment paper. Toast in preheated oven for 10 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Make the Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette by first zesting the orange. Mix together the red wine vinegar, orange juice, chopped cranberries, honey, salt, ginger, chopped scallion and orange zest in a small bowl. Pour in the olive oil. Using a hand blender, blend all the vinaigrette ingredients together until smooth. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, toss together the red leaf lettuce, spinach, arugula, chopped kale and Brussels sprouts. Top with spiced walnuts, oranges, Gorgonzola cheese crumbles and pomegranate arils. Served immediately with Cranberry Citrus Vinaigrette or your favorite dressing.
- If not serving immediately, wait to add the cheese until closer to serving time.