Do you have 15 cents? Then you've got enough money to make a tasty frozen burrito loaded with nutritious ingredients that's one-third the price of anything you can find in the store.
Yes, you could spend a little more for convenience, but ready-made frozen burritos' ingredients can be questionable and they'll definitely contain loads of sodium, preservatives and even sugar that you don't need. That's the beauty of making your own — you know exactly what's in them and it's nothing more than quinoa, black beans, salsa and cheese all lovingly wrapped up in a whole-wheat tortilla.
Homemade frozen burritos are amazingly simple to assemble and, to make it even better, you can prepare a bunch at one time and stock your freezer. Then, whenever life gets busy and you don't have the time to cook a big meal, you'll have an inexpensive, simple and easy meal ready. Who doesn't need more of that in their life?
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, prepared according to
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1½ cups)
- ¾ cup frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup tomatillo salsa
- 12 8-inch tortillas (whole-wheat or sprouted whole-grain)
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large mixing bowl using a wooden spoon, combine prepared quinoa, black beans, corn, salsa and cheddar cheese.
- Lay tortillas out onto a clean work surface. Spread ¼ cup bean mixture in the middle of each tortilla.
- Fold one end of the tortilla to meet the other. Then, gently push back the tortilla and ingredients so they are tight. Fold outside edges inward, then roll until burrito is closed. Repeat the process with the remaining burritos.
- To freeze burritos, tear 12 sheets of foil into 10-by-10-inch squares. Place each burrito in the center of a piece of foil and roll tightly. Place foil-wrapped burritos in a freezer bag. Label and date them before storing them in the freezer.
- When it's time to eat, remove burrito from its foil and place on a microwave-safe plate. Cover and cook on high heat for about 1 minute. Microwave longer if necessary, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Serves 12.