I have to admit, I’m not the best meal planner. I usually buy a bunch of ingredients and hope that I’ll magically create an interesting meal. This works out most of the time, but recently I looked in my fridge only to find only Brussels sprouts and oranges.
Rather than letting this random pair go to waste I decided to experiment, combining the bitter Brussels sprouts with the sweet and tangy orange — plus some crunchy salt-and-pepper chickpeas — on a flatbread.
Not to toot my own horn, but this is one of my best recipes to date!
Sweet Orange-Glazed Brussels Sprouts Flatbread
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided in half
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional, for added sweetness)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, stalks removed and halved lengthwise
- 2 pieces flatbread, or whole-wheat pita bread
- Shredded Italian blend cheese, or shredded mozzarella
- Crunchy roasted chickpeas* (optional)
- Combine orange juice, 2 tablespoons oil, brown sugar and Dijon mustard in a bowl. Whisk together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Place Brussels sprouts face-down in the pan and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. After the face-down side of the Brussels sprouts are golden brown, stir the Brussels sprouts in the pan to cook all the way through.
- Add the orange dressing to the pan. Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- While the Brussels sprouts are cooking in the glaze, sprinkle cheese on the flatbread and place in the oven. Heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the flatbread from the oven, top with cooked Brussels sprouts, and sprinkle with crunchy chickpeas (if using). Makes 2 servings.
- Make your own crunchy roasted chickpeas. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rinse and dry a 15-ounce can of chickpeas. Toss chickpeas with ½ ounce of canola oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Spread on a baking pan and roast for 30 to 35 minutes until crispy.